Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The search for the perfect avocado and a Christmas in July … in June

Finally I have something to blog about! I’ve been a bit quiet of late as I haven’t had much exciting going on but am happy to be back!

The weekend just gone was taken up by a 5 hour trip south to Armidale to visit the boy’s dad for the weekend. It was surprisingly warmer than we had expected and we enjoyed a beautiful Christmas in July dinner (in June of course).

The table was set up beautifully.

P1010854

Cremant

I enjoyed a large proportion of the selection of sparkling on offer –   my new favourite - Yellowglen Vintage Cremant as well as Jacob’s Creek Chardonnay Pinot Noir

I might have overindulged a bit because I was in dreamland by about 8pm but hey, it was Christmas!

We ate:

Potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potato and onion cooked in the camp oven, roast turkey and oh-so-good fresh sourdough bread as well as honey glazed ham and butter beans. Home made apple pie and custard topped off the feast.

P1010862 P1010856 P1010858 P1010859 P1010860 P1010861

Poor Rocky (the dog) didn’t know what had hit him when he was forced to sleep outside for the 2 nights we were away. He sure wasn’t acclimatised so i went to the local op shop and bought him a jersey … a kind of pov attempt at a dog coat. It kept him semi-warm and he didn’t seem to mind wearing it. The second photo is him looking up at the dead rabbit that had to be put up a tree to save him from devouring it as he had already caught and munched on one the day before.

P1010870

 P1010875

Now, totally off topic – does anyone else have trouble buying avocados? I NEVER have luck – they are either hard as a rock or brown and disgusting inside. I tried my luck last night at the supermarket and had a win – a perfectly ripe and soft green avocado. Here it is for all to see.

P1010889 P1010888

Recent op shop finds in my next post!

Over and Out XOXO

No comments: